Being a Good Friend - Lesson Plan Bundle (4 Lesson Plans)
What does it mean to be a good friend? In this unit, students will get to explore this important question through interactive lessons about being kind, dealing with people we don’t get along with, sharing with others, and making sure nobody feels left out.
Grade Level: 3-5
Lesson Plan Durations: 60 mins each
- Lesson Plan 1: Being Kind
- Lesson Plan 2: Making Friends
- Lesson Plan 3: Sharing is Caring
- Lesson Plan 4: Including Others
It is expected that students will:
- Recognize that when you are kind to one person it will spread to other people.
- Identify ways that they can be kind to the people around them.
- Demonstrate the value of being kind and practice being kind to someone in their life.
- Recognize that spending time with someone is how we make friends.
- Identify what a friend is.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how you can turn an enemy into a friend.
- Recognize the impact that sharing can have on the person they share with.
- Identify ways that they can share the good things that they have with others.
- Demonstrate the value of wanting good things for other people and not just themselves.
- Recognize that every life has value and purpose.
- Identify examples of how they can include others, treating them with respect.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how our differences are what make us unique and special.
- All Exploring My Identity lesson plans and accompanying printable material
Required materials (not included):
- Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller
- Large pieces of paper for group brainstorming
- Materials for making cards (construction paper, markers, stickers, glue, glitter, etc.)
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- Paper and pens
Sharing is Caring
- Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
- Paper and pens
- The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan
- Star stickers (blue, yellow, green, red as well as one purple & one orange sticker)
- Hula Hoop (Optional)
NB: Purchase includes access to streamable video and downloadable resources for 6 months.