Lesson Plan 1: Introducing Food Groups
Healthy foods give us energy and help us grow. In this lesson, students will get to explore how eating balanced meals gives them the fuel they need to grow, play, and learn. If we want to unleash our amazing superpowers we need to fuel ourselves with the right food!
Grade level: K - 2
Prep time: 10 min
Lesson duration: 30 min + Optional Extension Activity (10 min)
It is expected that students will:
- Recognize that healthy foods give people energy and help them grow, learn, and play.
- Identify and explore a variety of foods and describe how they contribute to health.
- Demonstrate an understanding of which foods fuel them and which foods don’t.
- Activate, Acquire, and Apply Activities
- Reading Comprehension Questions include:
- Eggs were called a superfood. What food group would an egg be? Vegetables, fat, protein, or fruit?
- What kind of superpowers did the food in the story give Ethan and Sophie?
Materials required (not provided)
- My SuperHero Foods by Haley Scheich & Dr. Tarek Pacha (A reading of the book can be found for free on YouTube - link included)
NB: Purchase includes access to downloadable resources for 6 months.